What To Buy When You’re Cooking For One (or Two)
There is nothing worse then getting to the end of the week, opening your fridge and seeing that half your groceries are getting past the expiration date. Shopping for one or two people can be a tricky, specially because most shopping lists on the internet are geared for big family households. I decided to solve the headache and take the guesswork out of shopping, check out my “Grocery Haul for 1 or 2” video below to make it easy plus a handy shop list for you!
Your Healthy Cooking for 1 or 2 Shop List
Proteins – flexible portions you can use in lots of ways
- Precooked chicken (grilled or rotisserie to shred)
- Precooked chicken sausage in different flavors – slice, saute, add to anything
- Eggs – frittatas, to simmer on top of sauteed veggies
- Precooked Frozen Shrimp – defrost by the handful in a colander & add to things
Veggies – you can enjoy these raw or cooked!
- Parsley & Scallions – last the longest and super flexible
- Baby Bell Peppers – for snacking & cooking
- Shallots – mini onions for one
- Grape or Cherry Tomatoes – cut in half & saute
- Pre Shredded Slaws – add to salads, saute, put in stir fry
- Dark Leafy Greens – for salad or to saute
- Zucchini Noodles or Cauliflower Rice – premade in small portions
- Small packs of carrot/celery sticks – snack or cut up to cook in soups
- Frozen cubed squash, cauliflower, peppers, diced onions – scoop out what you need & roast or add to soups
Individual Snack Packs – not just for kids! less waste & boredom
- Guacamole, Hummus, Refrigerated Dips
- String Cheese or Cheddar Snacks – can shred for your eggs or to top pasta
- Plain yogurt in small cups – to use in cooking to cut calories & SP
- Hard cheeses like Parm & Pecorino – they last a long time & a little goes a long way
- Mini Chicken Broth Boxes – or buy a quart & freeze in 1-2 cup containers
Easy Healthy Pre-cooked Grains/Legumes in Small Amounts
- Precooked Lentils (in the refrigerated section)
- Precooked frozen quinoa or brown rice – just scoop what you need!
- Low sodium canned black beans and chick peas (rinse & drain)
Don’t forget to grab a copy of my FREE cookbook “10 Fun Healthy Meals for One” – it has lightened up versions of all your faves from tacos to pizza, burgers, and more plus WW Personal Points links.